How to make a car insurance claim?
As you drive your car on the busy streets of India, chances are more that you might meet with an accident or probably cause one. Hence, having a motor insurance policy becomes necessary. With people owing their own private vehicles today, car insurance claims have gone up. However, many a times, policyholders do not understand how they can claim for the damages caused. So here we explain you everything about car insurance claim process that will ensure that you get your damages settled on time.
Car insurance claim process for damages to your car:
- First and foremost, you have to inform the company about the damages caused.
- You have to submit a duly filled claim form along with requisite documents. You can procure the claim form from the website or the office of the insurer.
- Before sending the car for any repairs, always inform the insurance company first.
- The insurance company will send a surveyor to assess the damages and on the basis of it the surveyor will prepare a report.
- If the damage is severe and requires immediate attention, then surveyor will reach the spot as soon as possible.
- Based on the surveyor’s report, you can send your car for repair.
- On the completion of the repairs, the surveyor will collect the signed bills and documents from the garage and submit them to the insurance company.
- The surveyor will then submit the report to the insurance company.
- If all the documents are in place, then the company will reimburse your bills.
Car insurance claim process for a third party claim:
- If you have caused any damage to third party, then first inform your insurance company about it.
- Do not make any financial commitments or do any out-of-court settlements.
- If a legal notice has been sent to you, submit it to the insurer
- Submit the copies of your RC book, driving licence and FIR
- The documents will be verified by the insurer and the matter will be assessed by the insurer. On their satisfaction, the company will appoint a lawyer to represent you.
- If the court directs you to pay damages, then the insurance company will compensate the third party on your behalf.
Car insurance claim process for a stolen car:
- File a complaint and register an F.I.R.
- Call the customer care of the insurance company and provide them with details of the theft, i.e. date and time of the incident. Also, submit the vehicle number and policy details.
- Submit a copy of the FIR to the insurance company
- Cooperate with the investigator appointed by the insurance company
- Wait for the claim to be approved
- Submit the non-traceable report, a report made by the police if the vehicle is not recovered.
- Then submit the RC book of your stolen car to the insurance company. Then transfer the RC of the stolen vehicle in the favour of your insurance company.
- You will also be required to hand over all the keys and a letter of subrogation to the insurer.
- Then, as per the report of the surveyor, the amount will be fixed and will be reimbursed with seven working days.
In case of damages, many insurance companies also provide the policyholder with the below services:
- Cashless repair service through a wide range of network garages
- Free-pick up, towing and wash benefit
- 6-month quality assistance on all repairs.
- Keep the above points in mind to make the car claim process and easy task for you.